From UMN.Com
How to: Do Election Fraud, Steal Elections or Fix a Vote
Part 1 Motivation and Actors

I started this article thinking that "fixing" elections would be about how automated voting machines lend themselves to many ways of fraud. And there are lots of ways they do. But as I began to think about election fixing, I found that I had a whomping big list of strategic and tactical methods of election manipulation and I did not even get to the actual vote mechanics yet. Election fraud is not just stuffing the ballot box. How to do vote fraud and election manipulation is part 2. A real life example of holes in optical scanner voting is described in Ramsey County Minnesota Public Elections Test.

Voting is a whole process that has many opportunities to manipulate the outcome. The closer the voting results are, the more the opportunity that a subtle manipulation can swing the vote one way or the other. To frame my analysis of security in the voting process I will use techniques described by such security analysts as Bruce Schneier in his book "Secrets and Lies." more